The Patrick-Murray Administration announced today the release of $14 million toward the costs for cities and towns associated with tornado damage on June 1 in Central and Western Massachusetts, including $3.9 million in MassDOT Highway Division funds to reimburse eight communities for the cost of emergency roadway repairs. MassDOT funds will pay for work completed to remove debris, rebuild roadways, and repair sidewalks and other transportation-related infrastructure.
The additional $10.1 million will help pay for debris monitoring and removal operations, leasing of temporary educational facilities for students displaced as a result of the storm, emergency response activities, and facilities maintenance and repairs in the wake of the storm.
“We are pleased to assist these communities by supporting the cost of making these critical repairs following a devastating severe weather outbreak,” said MassDOT CEO and Secretary Richard Davey. “These emergency repairs are unanticipated expenditures for cities and towns, and the Commonwealth is committed to being partners in the cleanup and rebuilding efforts.”
The communities receiving emergency funds through the Massachusetts Department of Revenue Division of Local Services include Agawam, Brimfield, East Longmeadow, Hampden-Wilbraham Regional School District, Holland, Monson, Southbridge, Springfield, Sturbridge, West Springfield, Westfield, and Wilbraham.
The following communities will receive emergency repair funding through MassDOT’s Highway Division:
* Springfield: $1,363,400- Debris removal, sidewalk repair on 43 roadways
* West Springfield: $200,000- Union Street and Main Street
* Brimfield: $449,000- Holland Road, East Brimfield Road, Warren Road, Main Street
* Monson: $519,000- Ely Road, High Street, Main Street, Hampden Upper, Wilbraham Road
* Southbridge: $150,000- Pleasant Street/Airport Access Road
* Sturbridge: $172,000- Fiske Hill Road
* Westfield: $70,000- Shaker Road, Pontussic Road
* Wilbraham: $956,000- Main Street, Stony Hill Road, Tinkham Drive, Rochford Drive