President Obama in his budget released this week recommended federal funding to support the Green Line Extension, marking a significant milestone for a project that will bring thousands of new jobs to the region and create new economic opportunity.
The President’s proposal includes $100 million in Federal Fiscal Year 2015 and paves the way for agreement with the federal government for greater support over the next several years.
“I thank President Obama and his Administration for recognizing the critical importance of completing the Green Line Extension,” said Governor Deval Patrick. “This historic commitment of federal New Starts Program funds, when matched with state contributions, will fulfill a promise made during construction of the Central Artery Project and complete the long-awaited extension of rail service to Somerville and Medford.
With the first phase of construction already underway, we are already clearly seeing the economic opportunity and jobs created through this project. This wise federal and state investment will unlock the potential economic growth along the new Green Line corridor and leave a legacy of greater mobility for residents and smart environmental benefits in one of the Commonwealth’s most densely-populated areas.”
Earlier this year, the Patrick Administration requested that the federal government fund 50 percent of the $1.428 billion project.
The Green Line Extension project is an initiative of MassDOT and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA).This important project will extend existing MBTA Green Line service from a relocated Lechmere Station in East Cambridge to Union Square in Somerville and College Avenue in Medford.
“The Green Line Extension offers Somerville and the region both economic justice and environmental justice, connecting residents with jobs that pay a livable wage and health care while reducing the number of cars on the road and pollution in the air we all breathe, as well shifting us to a more sustainable mode of transit,” said Mayor Joseph A. Curtatone.
MassDOT has already begun work on the project with early action bridge and roadway upgrades currently underway in Somerville and Medford. Major utility relocation and site preparation work is scheduled to begin later this year with full construction commencing in the spring of 2015.
Toll Plaza Demolition, Reconstruction Public Meetings Set posted on Sep 30
MassDOT will begin the demolition of all existing toll plazas on October 28, 2016 as part of the implementation of All Electronic Tolling (AET) along the Massachusetts Turnpike. MassDOT is holding four public meetings to provide information about what to expect as the toll booths …Continue Reading Toll Plaza Demolition, Reconstruction Public Meetings Set
MassDOT Announces Safe Streets Smart Trips High School Video Contest Winners posted on Sep 30
MassDOT today recognized the work of high school students across the Commonwealth through the Safe Streets Smart Trips statewide high school video contest at MassDOT’s annual Moving Together Conference. Videos were shown during the luncheon portion of the conference, with the winners called to stage …Continue Reading MassDOT Announces Safe Streets Smart Trips High School Video Contest Winners
MassDOT Announces Completion of Trapelo Road Reconstruction Project posted on Sep 28
Transportation Secretary and CEO Stephanie Pollack, Highway Administrator Thomas J. Tinlin, State Senator Will Brownsberger and state and local officials today announced the completion of the Trapelo Road Reconstruction project. A ribbon cutting ceremony was held today in Belmont to celebrate the project’s conclusion. “The …Continue Reading MassDOT Announces Completion of Trapelo Road Reconstruction Project