Post Content

MBTA Red Line Winter Resiliency Work, September 2015

Red Line Winter Resiliency Work Phase One, September 2015

The MBTA Fiscal and Management Control Board (FMCB) today unanimously approved the awarding of a $18.5 million construction contract for the next phase of Red Line Winter Resiliency improvements announced by the Baker-Polito Administration last year, amounting to $30.4 million total for infrastructure upgrades in preparation for the upcoming winter.

“These critical investments in the resiliency of the MBTA’s core infrastructure and preparation for severe winter weather allow for upgrades that ensure more reliable service for the over one million daily riders who depend on the system each day,” said Governor Charlie Baker. “The Fiscal and Management Control Board continues to make significant progress on reforming the system, delivering transparency, cost-effectiveness and accountability for both taxpayers and commuters.”

The $18.5 million contract awarded to Barletta Heavy Division, Inc., will deliver a series of significant upgrades along 9.9 miles of the Red Line Braintree and Ashmont Lines, including the replacement of all third rail and heating systems, track and tie renewals, signals, track structure and conduit installations. Total winter resiliency expenses for phase two of efforts announced last year include the contract work awarded to Barletta along with MBTA staff work and costs for materials, engineering, and procurement.

“We look forward to building on the success of phase one during which miles and miles of new third rail was installed along outer portions of the Red Line,” said Acting MBTA General Manager Brian Shortsleeve. “Working in tandem with Barletta, MBTA forces will continue to make the upgrades necessary to keep the subway operating no matter what Mother Nature throws at us.”

The project beginning this summer through December will include the following work:

  • Replacement of all 3rd rail and associated rail heating systems along 9.9 miles of the Red Line South
  • Track and tie renewal between Savin Hill and Fields Corner Stations
  • Signal trough and conduit installation between North Quincy and Braintree Stations
  • Track structure replacement at Quincy Center, Quincy Adams and Braintree Stations

The first phase of Winter Resiliency Plan improvements completed in 2015 included new 3rd rail and Rail Heater improvements along 13.6 miles of the Red Line from the Andrew Station portal to Quincy Adams. The next phase of work starting now will complete the 3rd rail and rail heater improvements along the entire length of the Red Line South.

To accommodate the winter resiliency work this fall, buses will replace train service on the following weekends:

Braintree Branch: Sept. 10-12, Sept. 24-26, Oct. 1-3, Oct. 8-10, Oct. 15-17, Dec. 3-5,

Ashmont Branch: Oct. 22-24, Dec. 10-12, Dec 17-19

As is customary, the MBTA will keep customers informed of service changes on mbta.com, through T Alerts, and on Twitter @mbta.

The MBTA Winter Resiliency Plan announced by the Baker-Polito Administration in 2015 focused on Infrastructure, Equipment, and Operations improvements on the Red Line and Orange Line to more effectively mitigate the frequency, length and magnitude of system disruptions to public transit during severe weather.

The next phase Winter Resiliency Improvement Program presentation is available on the MBTA Fiscal and Management Control Board web page.

 

Written By:

Tags:

Recent Posts

MassDOT, MAPFRE Insurance Reminder: Buckle Up. Every Trip. Every Time. posted on Nov 25

MassDOT, MAPFRE Insurance Reminder: Buckle Up. Every Trip. Every Time.

The holidays are fast approaching and while they may look a bit different this year, it is still the busiest time on our nation’s roadways. Although many Massachusetts residents will stay close to home this Thanksgiving, it’s important to keep in mind that more people   …Continue Reading MassDOT, MAPFRE Insurance Reminder: Buckle Up. Every Trip. Every Time.

MassDOT announces seventh annual Safe Streets Smart Trips High School Video Contest winners posted on Nov 23

BOSTON – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is announcing the winners of the Annual Safe Streets Smart Trips High School Video Contest.  More than 30 videos from high schools across the Commonwealth were submitted to this year’s contest and six semifinalist videos were shown   …Continue Reading MassDOT announces seventh annual Safe Streets Smart Trips High School Video Contest winners

MassDOT Advisory: Thanksgiving Holiday Travel posted on Nov 23

BOSTON – The Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT) is reminding members of the public to plan ahead for the upcoming Thanksgiving Holiday week, utilize the appropriate technology tools to make informed decisions, and be aware there may be limited public amenities on trips due to   …Continue Reading MassDOT Advisory: Thanksgiving Holiday Travel