MassDOT RMV has entered into a reciprocal agreement with the Republic of Korea to convert valid Korean licenses, equivalent to a Class D, to Massachusetts Class D licenses.
Upon conversion, the Korean license must be surrendered to the RMV to be stored at the Korean consulate.
As part of this agreement, a Massachusetts resident who moves to the Republic of Korea will also be allowed to convert his/her Massachusetts license to a Korean license.
To convert a Korean license, you must:
Be at least 18 years of age
Meet the Massachusetts residency requirements
Meet the RMV’s identification requirements
Provide a Korean driving record indicating that you are currently licensed to operate a passenger motor vehicle
This driving record is only available in the Republic of Korea. If you do not have one, you cannot convert your Korean license and will need to take a written test and a road test.
If the driving record has any points due to driving offenses, the Korean consulate will provide an addendum to the driving record to explain each driving offense. You must present this along with the driving record. Procedures are listed after the break.
Obtain a Korean Driver’s License Translation completed and stamped by the Korean consulate.
Korean Consulate Contact Information:
One Gateway Center, Suite 251
300 Washington Street
Newton, MA 02458
2. Visit any full service RMV branch and submit the following:
· Completed and stamped Korean Driver’s License Translation.
· Completed License Conversion Application.
· Original, unaltered driving record, certified by the Korean National Police Agency (NPA), issued no more than 60 days prior.
· Provide documents proving Identification and Massachusetts Residency
3. Pay the $100 license conversion fee.
4. Surrender your Korean license to the RMV for storage at the Korean consulate.
Your Korean license will be stored at the Korean Consulate and will be returned to you if you intend to permanently return to Korea. If you make a temporary visit to the Republic of Korea, the Korean Consulate will return your Korean license and hold your Massachusetts license until you return.