DCR and MassDOT will close portions of Storrow Drive in Boston, Memorial Drive in Cambridge, and the Longfellow Bridge and Massachusetts Avenue Bridge to accommodate the thousands of spectators expected for the July 3 and 4 celebrations and fireworks. Clean-up will begin 30 minutes after the last fireworks on July 4. All roadways will remain closed until the clean-up is complete, expected to be Monday morning, July 5.
Those attending Saturday night’s Red Sox game are urged to avoid Storrow Drive from the East (from Boston), as it will close at 4 p.m.
The complete road and bridge closing schedule for Saturday and Sunday, July 3-4, follows after the jump:
Saturday, July 3, 2010
• No parking on Mugar Way in Boston between Arlington Street and Charles Street until 8 a.m. on July 5, 2010
• Charles River walkway adjacent to the Charles River closed to pedestrians from the Community Boating area to DCR’s Hatch Shell. The Storrow Drive walkway remains open.
• Oval area in front of the Hatch Shell closed to public for Boston Pops rehearsal.
• Storrow Drive closed to westbound traffic from the Lee Pool to Berkeley Street, including the entrance from Charles Street Circle. Westbound traffic can re-enter Storrow Drive at Berkeley Street.
• The Arlington Street exit from the Storrow Tunnel (eastbound/inbound) will close.
Sunday, July 4, 2010
Roadway and Bridge closures
• No parking on Memorial Drive (either side) between Fowler Street and the Longfellow Bridge;
• No parking on Cambridge Parkway, Museum Road, and North Point Boulevard.
• Storrow Drive closed in both directions between Leverett Circle and Kenmore Square.
• The Storrow Drive exit ramp in the Liberty Tunnel will be closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles.
• The ramps from Beacon Street to Storrow Drive eastbound and westbound will close.
• Closures will include the on-ramps to Storrow Drive from Berkeley Street, Charlesgate Area (heading eastbound), Bowker Overpass from Park Drive, and Charles Street Circle (heading westbound).
• No parking or boat launching at Magazine Beach Area or Riverside Boat Club.
• Pedestrian footbridge to the Esplanade at Charles Street Circle closed.
• Pedestrian footbridge from Beacon Street to the Esplanade closed.
• Mugar Way at Beacon Street closed to all pedestrian traffic.
• The right lane of Charles River Dam Road (O’Brien Highway) southbound will be closed to stage maintenance and response vehicles.
• Longfellow Bridge closed to vehicular traffic in both directions. Pedestrian access will be allowed.
• Memorial Drive closed in both directions between Longfellow Bridge and Massachusetts Avenue.
• Main Street, Cambridge, closed from Third Street to the Longfellow Bridge.
• Ames Street, Cambridge, closed from Main Street to Memorial Drive.
• Wadsworth and Amherst Streets, Cambridge, closed
• Land Boulevard, Cambridge, from Binney Street to Longfellow Bridge closed.
• Hayward, Carlton, Charlotte’s Way, and Dock Streets in Cambridge, closed.
• Access allowed to One Memorial Drive only with issued permit.
• Memorial Drive closed between Massachusetts Avenue Bridge and the BU Bridge.
• Massachusetts Avenue Bridge closed to vehicles in both directions. Pedestrians will be allowed to cross.
• Vassar Street in Cambridge closed from Massachusetts Avenue to Memorial Drive. Access will be allowed for residents only.
• Third Street in Cambridge becomes one way from Main Street to Msgr. O’Brien Highway
• Craigie Draw Bridge (at Leverett Circle) open for vehicular traffic for 2 hours or until traffic starts to subside. Small boats that can pass under bridge will be allowed to pass.
Massachusetts State Police and DCR officials may adjust times of closures in order to ensure public safety.
MassDOT, Mapfre Insurance Encourage Safe Summer Driving posted on May 24
In time for Memorial Day, the kick-off to the summer driving season, MassDOT Acting Highway Administrator Thomas Tinlin joined MAPFRE Insurance in reminding motorists to adhere to speed limits, obey traffic laws and avoid distracted driving when traveling during the summer months. According to data …Continue Reading MassDOT, Mapfre Insurance Encourage Safe Summer Driving
Chelsea: Silver Line Gateway Project Bridge Closure posted on May 22
MassDOT will close the Washington Avenue Bridge in Chelsea on Tuesday, May 26 at 10:00 AM as part of the Silver Line Gateway Project. Appropriate detour signs will be in place to redirect traffic and pedestrians, and identify relocated bus stops. The bridge closure is …Continue Reading Chelsea: Silver Line Gateway Project Bridge Closure
MBTA: Refurbished Green Line Trolleys Returning to Service posted on May 22
The first MBTA Green Line refurbished trolley car was returned to service this week. T personnel are completing test runs on the next refurbished car to return to service in the coming days. These are the first of 86 that are being refurbished. All 86 …Continue Reading MBTA: Refurbished Green Line Trolleys Returning to Service