DCR and MassDOT will close portions of Storrow Drive in Boston, Memorial Drive in Cambridge, and the Longfellow Bridge and Massachusetts Avenue Bridge to accommodate the thousands of spectators expected for the July 3 and 4 celebrations and fireworks. Clean-up will begin 30 minutes after the last fireworks on July 4. All roadways will remain closed until the clean-up is complete, expected to be Monday morning, July 5.
Those attending Saturday night’s Red Sox game are urged to avoid Storrow Drive from the East (from Boston), as it will close at 4 p.m.
The complete road and bridge closing schedule for Saturday and Sunday, July 3-4, follows after the jump:
Saturday, July 3, 2010
• No parking on Mugar Way in Boston between Arlington Street and Charles Street until 8 a.m. on July 5, 2010
• Charles River walkway adjacent to the Charles River closed to pedestrians from the Community Boating area to DCR’s Hatch Shell. The Storrow Drive walkway remains open.
• Oval area in front of the Hatch Shell closed to public for Boston Pops rehearsal.
• Storrow Drive closed to westbound traffic from the Lee Pool to Berkeley Street, including the entrance from Charles Street Circle. Westbound traffic can re-enter Storrow Drive at Berkeley Street.
• The Arlington Street exit from the Storrow Tunnel (eastbound/inbound) will close.
Sunday, July 4, 2010
Roadway and Bridge closures
• No parking on Memorial Drive (either side) between Fowler Street and the Longfellow Bridge;
• No parking on Cambridge Parkway, Museum Road, and North Point Boulevard.
• Storrow Drive closed in both directions between Leverett Circle and Kenmore Square.
• The Storrow Drive exit ramp in the Liberty Tunnel will be closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles.
• The ramps from Beacon Street to Storrow Drive eastbound and westbound will close.
• Closures will include the on-ramps to Storrow Drive from Berkeley Street, Charlesgate Area (heading eastbound), Bowker Overpass from Park Drive, and Charles Street Circle (heading westbound).
• No parking or boat launching at Magazine Beach Area or Riverside Boat Club.
• Pedestrian footbridge to the Esplanade at Charles Street Circle closed.
• Pedestrian footbridge from Beacon Street to the Esplanade closed.
• Mugar Way at Beacon Street closed to all pedestrian traffic.
• The right lane of Charles River Dam Road (O’Brien Highway) southbound will be closed to stage maintenance and response vehicles.
• Longfellow Bridge closed to vehicular traffic in both directions. Pedestrian access will be allowed.
• Memorial Drive closed in both directions between Longfellow Bridge and Massachusetts Avenue.
• Main Street, Cambridge, closed from Third Street to the Longfellow Bridge.
• Ames Street, Cambridge, closed from Main Street to Memorial Drive.
• Wadsworth and Amherst Streets, Cambridge, closed
• Land Boulevard, Cambridge, from Binney Street to Longfellow Bridge closed.
• Hayward, Carlton, Charlotte’s Way, and Dock Streets in Cambridge, closed.
• Access allowed to One Memorial Drive only with issued permit.
• Memorial Drive closed between Massachusetts Avenue Bridge and the BU Bridge.
• Massachusetts Avenue Bridge closed to vehicles in both directions. Pedestrians will be allowed to cross.
• Vassar Street in Cambridge closed from Massachusetts Avenue to Memorial Drive. Access will be allowed for residents only.
• Third Street in Cambridge becomes one way from Main Street to Msgr. O’Brien Highway
• Craigie Draw Bridge (at Leverett Circle) open for vehicular traffic for 2 hours or until traffic starts to subside. Small boats that can pass under bridge will be allowed to pass.
Massachusetts State Police and DCR officials may adjust times of closures in order to ensure public safety.
MBTA Debuts Performance Dashboard 2.0 posted on Jul 29
The MBTA has launched the next phase of the Performance Dashboard that tracks daily reliability levels of the four subway lines and all 170 bus routes. Responding to customer requests, the Performance Dashboard 2.0 now delivers performance trends over time. The updated dashboard also added …Continue Reading MBTA Debuts Performance Dashboard 2.0
RMV Unveils New Driver’s License and Security Features posted on Jul 26
The Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles today unveiled a new Driver’s License and Mass ID design to be phased in over 5 years at no additional cost to customers. Last updated in 2010, the designs include new security features better protecting the identity of customers …Continue Reading RMV Unveils New Driver’s License and Security Features
Governor Baker Signs REAL ID Compliance Legislation posted on Jul 26
Governor Charlie Baker has signed bipartisan legislation to ensure Massachusetts’ compliance with the federal REAL ID Act, while adopting public safety standards so the Commonwealth’s citizens can continue to enter federal buildings and board domestic flights and ensuring that state credentials are issued to residents …Continue Reading Governor Baker Signs REAL ID Compliance Legislation