DCR and MassDOT will close portions of Storrow Drive in Boston, Memorial Drive in Cambridge, and the Longfellow Bridge and Massachusetts Avenue Bridge to accommodate the thousands of spectators expected for the July 3 and 4 celebrations and fireworks. Clean-up will begin 30 minutes after the last fireworks on July 4. All roadways will remain closed until the clean-up is complete, expected to be Monday morning, July 5.
Those attending Saturday night’s Red Sox game are urged to avoid Storrow Drive from the East (from Boston), as it will close at 4 p.m.
The complete road and bridge closing schedule for Saturday and Sunday, July 3-4, follows after the jump:
Saturday, July 3, 2010
• No parking on Mugar Way in Boston between Arlington Street and Charles Street until 8 a.m. on July 5, 2010
• Charles River walkway adjacent to the Charles River closed to pedestrians from the Community Boating area to DCR’s Hatch Shell. The Storrow Drive walkway remains open.
• Oval area in front of the Hatch Shell closed to public for Boston Pops rehearsal.
• Storrow Drive closed to westbound traffic from the Lee Pool to Berkeley Street, including the entrance from Charles Street Circle. Westbound traffic can re-enter Storrow Drive at Berkeley Street.
• The Arlington Street exit from the Storrow Tunnel (eastbound/inbound) will close.
Sunday, July 4, 2010
Roadway and Bridge closures
• No parking on Memorial Drive (either side) between Fowler Street and the Longfellow Bridge;
• No parking on Cambridge Parkway, Museum Road, and North Point Boulevard.
• Storrow Drive closed in both directions between Leverett Circle and Kenmore Square.
• The Storrow Drive exit ramp in the Liberty Tunnel will be closed to all traffic except emergency vehicles.
• The ramps from Beacon Street to Storrow Drive eastbound and westbound will close.
• Closures will include the on-ramps to Storrow Drive from Berkeley Street, Charlesgate Area (heading eastbound), Bowker Overpass from Park Drive, and Charles Street Circle (heading westbound).
• No parking or boat launching at Magazine Beach Area or Riverside Boat Club.
• Pedestrian footbridge to the Esplanade at Charles Street Circle closed.
• Pedestrian footbridge from Beacon Street to the Esplanade closed.
• Mugar Way at Beacon Street closed to all pedestrian traffic.
• The right lane of Charles River Dam Road (O’Brien Highway) southbound will be closed to stage maintenance and response vehicles.
• Longfellow Bridge closed to vehicular traffic in both directions. Pedestrian access will be allowed.
• Memorial Drive closed in both directions between Longfellow Bridge and Massachusetts Avenue.
• Main Street, Cambridge, closed from Third Street to the Longfellow Bridge.
• Ames Street, Cambridge, closed from Main Street to Memorial Drive.
• Wadsworth and Amherst Streets, Cambridge, closed
• Land Boulevard, Cambridge, from Binney Street to Longfellow Bridge closed.
• Hayward, Carlton, Charlotte’s Way, and Dock Streets in Cambridge, closed.
• Access allowed to One Memorial Drive only with issued permit.
• Memorial Drive closed between Massachusetts Avenue Bridge and the BU Bridge.
• Massachusetts Avenue Bridge closed to vehicles in both directions. Pedestrians will be allowed to cross.
• Vassar Street in Cambridge closed from Massachusetts Avenue to Memorial Drive. Access will be allowed for residents only.
• Third Street in Cambridge becomes one way from Main Street to Msgr. O’Brien Highway
• Craigie Draw Bridge (at Leverett Circle) open for vehicular traffic for 2 hours or until traffic starts to subside. Small boats that can pass under bridge will be allowed to pass.
Massachusetts State Police and DCR officials may adjust times of closures in order to ensure public safety.
Plan Ahead for July 4 Travel posted on Jun 29
MassDOT encourages the public to travel safely on the 4th of July holiday weekend, drive during lower volume times on major roadways, and use public transportation where possible. MassDOT suspends all construction work on major arterial roadways from 12 p.m., Friday, July 1, through the …Continue Reading Plan Ahead for July 4 Travel
Safe Routes to Schools: Baker-Polito Administration Honors 13 posted on Jun 29
Lt. Governor Karyn Polito today joined MassDOT in honoring 13 schools and individuals for their work to promote and train students to bicycle and walk to school in a safe manner as part of the Safe Routes to School Program. “I am thrilled to see …Continue Reading Safe Routes to Schools: Baker-Polito Administration Honors 13
Longfellow Bridge Closure, MBTA Red Line Diversion July 8-11 posted on Jun 28
MassDOT’s contractor will close the Longfellow Bridge and implement an MBTA Red Line diversion during the weekend of July 8 through July 10. The Longfellow Bridge will be closed to all vehicular traffic, except MBTA buses, from 11:00 PM on Friday, July 8, to 5:00 …Continue Reading Longfellow Bridge Closure, MBTA Red Line Diversion July 8-11