Today is the MassDOT one year anniversary. By every measure our organization is much stronger than it was one year ago, and that bodes well for all of us who care about the future.
In one short year, following Governor Patrick's and Lt. Governor Murray's lead and with the strong support of our Board of Directors, we have become one transportation organization focused on customer service and safety.
There are simply too many achievements this year to list here. To highlight just a few, we have:
- Invested over $1.5 billion into our infrastructure in every corner of the state;
- funded dozens of airport projects;
- made important improvements in MBTA and regional bus services;
- launched a nationally-recognized open data initiative that gives people real time information on subway and bus service;
- adopted an award-winning environmental sustainability policy;
- significantly increased transparency and community outreach;
- begun safety committees with our unions;
- started a roundtable forum to open up communication with DOT leadership;
- adopted Massachusetts transportation's first-ever strategic plan;
- used our website and social media to better serve our customers in unprecedented ways;
- reduced wait times and improved customer service at our RMV branches;
- improved our focus on worker and public safety in every aspect of our organization.
We capped the first year with the impressive overnight placement of a new bridge on Route 2 in Phillipston. To me, it is the perfect and fitting testament to all that MassDOT stands for- a commitment to continuous process improvements aimed at saving money and at doing things better and faster.
As we move into year two, look for improvements on year one progress. None of us should be satisfied with the progress of transportation reform until MassDOT is widely recognized as the best transportation department in the United States. It is at that point that will regain people's faith and trust in all of us to plan, operate and maintain the state's transportation system. Our progress in the first year demonstrates that these worthwhile goals are very achievable.