MassDOT contractors for the Route 79/Braga Bridge Improvements Project will begin implementing traffic detours on Tuesday, Nov. 12.
The detour routes will be phased in over a four-day period and will be fully phased in overnight on Friday, Nov. 15, into Saturday, Nov. 16. Once implemented, the detours will be in place through the fall of 2015.
The detours are necessary to allow the contractor to begin demolishing the elevated portion of the roadway and constructing the new roadway system. Local access to the waterfront and area businesses and attractions will be maintained at all times for vehicles, bicyclists, and pedestrians. Detour signage will be in place throughout the work zone guiding motorists through the changes.
Traffic traveling on the mainline of I-195 and the Braga Bridge eastbound and westbound will not be affected by these detours.
The initial phases of the detour implementation scheduled for the week of Nov. 12 are outlined below with dates and time of day. MassDOT strongly encourages drivers to allow for extra time when traveling through this area and to exercise an additional measure of caution to adjust to the adjusted configurations.
- Tuesday, November 12
- Close Exit 5, at I-195 westbound, to allow construction of a temporary ramp. The exit will re-open on Friday, November 15.
- Open temporary ramp from Pocasset Street to I-195 eastbound, behind the Chamber of Commerce.
- Wednesday, November 13
- Close the ramp on I-195 eastbound to Route 79 northbound. Ramp access to Milliken Boulevard will be maintained.
- Thursday, November 14
- Close Davol Street between Central Street and Pocasset Street/Anawan Street.
- Open u-turn, just south of President Avenue, to local traffic on South Davol Street for access to the new two-way section of North Davol Street between the u-turn and Central Street.
- Activate traffic signal at the intersection of Central Street and Davol Street.
- Close Route 138/Broadway Extension to northbound through traffic at Columbia Street. The ramp that allows access to I-195 eastbound and westbound will remain open.
- Open temporary driveway to Community Boating’s parking lot.
- Friday, November 15
- Open the temporary ramp from Route 79 southbound to South Davol Street. Route 79 southbound will be closed to traffic at this point.
- Open temporary ramp from I-195 westbound to Central Street.
MassDOT and the design/build team will be monitoring traffic throughout the project area to ensure safety.
Once the detour phasing is complete, through traffic on Routes 79 and 138 will be detoured using the following local roads through fall 2015. Please view the attached detour route maps for more details.
- From I-195 westbound to Route 79 northbound – Take Exit 5 from I-195 westbound onto Central Street, turn right onto North Davol Street and continue straight to Route 79 northbound.
- From I-195 eastbound to Route 79 northbound – Take Exit 5 from I-195 eastbound toward Route 138 south (North Tiverton, RI), turn left onto Milliken Boulevard, turn left onto Central Street, turn right onto North Davol Street and continue straight to Route 79 northbound.
- From I-195 westbound to Route 138 southbound – Take Exit 5 from I-195 westbound onto Central Street, continue straight to Water Street which becomes Ponta Delgada Boulevard and ends at Columbia Street, continue across Columbia Street where Ponta Delgada becomes Eagle Street, turn right onto Hope Street and turn left onto Broadway (Route 138 southbound).
- Route 79 southbound to I-195 eastbound – Follow detour from Route 79 southbound onto South Davol Street which becomes North Davol Street, turn right onto Central Street which becomes Water Street, turn left onto Anawan Street which becomes Pocasset Street and turn left onto temporary ramp to I-195 eastbound.
- Route 79 southbound to I-195 westbound – Follow detour from Route 79 southbound onto South Davol Street which becomes North Davol Street, take right onto Central Street which becomes Water Street, take left onto Anawan Street which becomes Pocasset Street and then South Frontage Road, turn left onto 4th Street, turn right onto Pleasant Street and turn right onto ramp to I-195 westbound.
- Route 138 northbound to Route 79 northbound – From Broadway (Route 138), turn right onto Middle Street, turn left onto South Main Street which becomes North Main Street, turn left onto Central Street just past City Hall, turn right onto North Davol Street and continue straight to Route 79 northbound.
Route 79 southbound to Route 138 southbound – Follow detour from Route 79 southbound onto South Davol Street which becomes North Davol Street, take right onto Central Street which becomes Water Street and then Ponta Delgada Boulevard and ends at Columbia Street, continue across Columbia Street where Ponta Delgada Boulevard becomes Eagle Street, turn right onto Hope Street and turn left onto Broadway (Route 138 southbound).
Please visit the Route 79/Braga Project website to sign up for email alerts and updates and to learn more about this important project. For more information, please contact the project team by phone at 781-774-0441 or by email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Danvers: Route 128/Route 62 Interchange Crash Reduction posted on Oct 21
MassDOT has announced that due to several recent improvements, there has been a sharp reduction in the number of traffic crashes at the interchange of Route 128 with Route 62 in Danvers. MassDOT worked collaboratively for several months with elected and local officials, the Danvers …Continue Reading Danvers: Route 128/Route 62 Interchange Crash Reduction
MBTA Forest Hills Bus Canopy Public Meeting Set posted on Oct 21
The Casey Arborway Project includes expansion of the Upper Busway at the MBTA’s lntermodal Forest Hills Station. A Public Meeting on the Forest Hills Bus Canopy Project has been scheduled as follows: Wednesday, November 2, 6:30 to 8:30 PM, The English High School, 144 McBride …Continue Reading MBTA Forest Hills Bus Canopy Public Meeting Set
All Electronic Tolling Information, Public Meeting posted on Oct 19
The new All Electronic Tolling program on I-90 and the Boston tunnels will “go live” on Friday night, October 28th. A final Toll Plaza Demolition Public Meeting is set for tonight: • Wednesday, October 19th – Brighton WGBH – Yawkey Theater, One Guest Street Plaza …Continue Reading All Electronic Tolling Information, Public Meeting