The signs of history are all around us in the Commonwealth, including nearly 300 historical markers erected in 1930 by the Massachusetts Bay Colony Tercentenary Commission in the 300th anniversary of the Colony's birth.
The Commission promised that "travellers who shall pass by the many storied ways through the
lands of the Puritan occupations in the ancient days of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, may now read on tablets set by roadsides or in city streets the tales which the ocean shores, the hills, the fields, the churches, the garrison houses and the old hearthstones, have to tell of the heroism, of the romance and of the tragedies, and of the unfaltering faith, of the ancestors of our Commonwealth."
The legislation called for the highway department to maintain the signs. One such marker at the corner of Adams Street and Churchill's Lane in Milton needed TLC.
Earlier this year, MassHighway District 4's Larry Glazebrook personally restored the sign, in the before and after photos at left, one of approximately 30 he has refurbished in providing service to the Commonwealth and ensuring that the tales of our ancestors will live on.
If you see a marker in need of upkeep, let us know or contact MassHighway.