The Governor's comprehensive plan will restructure and reform transportation in historic, fundamental ways.
The plan consolidates and radically simplifies the transportation bureaucracy.
• The Turnpike Authority is abolished.
• The Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission and Outdoor Advertising Board are abolished.
• The MBTA Board is restructured and reduced in size.
• The simplified Department of Transportation under the authority of the Secretary of Transportation has four divisions: Highway, Rail and Transit, Aviation and Port, and Registry of Motor Vehicles.
• The result is a streamlined, consolidated operation with approximately 300 fewer employees.
The restructured Department of Transportation includes fundamental reforms.
• Pension reform ends “23 and out” at MBTA and aligns its pension system with the state system.
• Turnpike and MBTA employees join the state health care system.
• MassHighway employees move off the capital budget and back onto regular payroll, freeing funds for road and bridge maintenance.
• All Transportation Finance Commission reform recommendations are enacted.
• Bidding processes are modernized and tort reform reduces costs.
The reform and restructuring cut costs, improve efficiency, and rebuild public confidence in the transportation system. To read the legislation and learn more, visit the Reform & Renew web page.
Governor Patrick: Recommendation to Build MBTA Subway Cars in Massachusetts posted on Oct 21
Governor Deval Patrick today announced that the MBTA will present to the MassDOT Board of Directors the recommended company to manufacture and deliver 284 new subway cars for the Red and Orange Lines, replacing decades-old vehicles. Joined by MassDOT Secretary & CEO Richard A. Davey …Continue Reading Governor Patrick: Recommendation to Build MBTA Subway Cars in Massachusetts
Students Restore Historic Massachusetts Public Works Truck posted on Oct 21
A 1947 Ford dump truck with the proud historic logo “Massachusetts Department of Public Works” is now being restored by students at Bristol/Plymouth Regional Technical School in Taunton. MassDOT Secretary of Transportation Richard Davey visited the school to check on the students’ work and the …Continue Reading Students Restore Historic Massachusetts Public Works Truck
Celtics Forward Jared Sullinger Says: Sign Up for a Celtics Plate! posted on Oct 20
The Registry of Motor Vehicles’ new Boston Haymarket Center received a special visitor today: Boston Celtics forward Jared Sullinger. “Sully” joined Registrar Celia Blue to greet visitors, meet the staff, and encourage customers to sign up for the Boston Celtics Specialty License Plate. The Celtics …Continue Reading Celtics Forward Jared Sullinger Says: Sign Up for a Celtics Plate!