The Governor's comprehensive plan will restructure and reform transportation in historic, fundamental ways.
The plan consolidates and radically simplifies the transportation bureaucracy.
• The Turnpike Authority is abolished.
• The Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission and Outdoor Advertising Board are abolished.
• The MBTA Board is restructured and reduced in size.
• The simplified Department of Transportation under the authority of the Secretary of Transportation has four divisions: Highway, Rail and Transit, Aviation and Port, and Registry of Motor Vehicles.
• The result is a streamlined, consolidated operation with approximately 300 fewer employees.
The restructured Department of Transportation includes fundamental reforms.
• Pension reform ends “23 and out” at MBTA and aligns its pension system with the state system.
• Turnpike and MBTA employees join the state health care system.
• MassHighway employees move off the capital budget and back onto regular payroll, freeing funds for road and bridge maintenance.
• All Transportation Finance Commission reform recommendations are enacted.
• Bidding processes are modernized and tort reform reduces costs.
The reform and restructuring cut costs, improve efficiency, and rebuild public confidence in the transportation system. To read the legislation and learn more, visit the Reform & Renew web page.
RMV: New Boston Branch Location, Low Number Lottery Drawing posted on Aug 28
MassDOT Registrar of Motor Vehicles Celia J. Blue announced the annual low number license plate lottery drawing will be held on September 10 at the RMV’s soon-to-open new Boston branch, Haymarket Center at 136 Blackstone Street. “As we move our operations to a new Boston …Continue Reading RMV: New Boston Branch Location, Low Number Lottery Drawing
Labor Day Weekend Travel: Plan Ahead! posted on Aug 27
MassDOT encourages motorists to plan ahead for safe travel during the upcoming Labor Day holiday weekend. Heaviest Labor Day traffic on I-90 is expected Thursday and Friday westbound and Monday afternoon-evening eastbound. The number of toll transactions on the Turnpike from Weston to the New …Continue Reading Labor Day Weekend Travel: Plan Ahead!
Boston: I-90 Construction Update posted on Aug 26
MassDOT contractors in August and September continue the preparation work to improve the median and Commonwealth Avenue Bridge substructure on Interstate 90 in Boston. The left lanes in both Eastbound and Westbound directions on I-90 from west of the Prudential tunnel to the Commonwealth Avenue …Continue Reading Boston: I-90 Construction Update