The Governor's comprehensive plan will restructure and reform transportation in historic, fundamental ways.
The plan consolidates and radically simplifies the transportation bureaucracy.
• The Turnpike Authority is abolished.
• The Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission and Outdoor Advertising Board are abolished.
• The MBTA Board is restructured and reduced in size.
• The simplified Department of Transportation under the authority of the Secretary of Transportation has four divisions: Highway, Rail and Transit, Aviation and Port, and Registry of Motor Vehicles.
• The result is a streamlined, consolidated operation with approximately 300 fewer employees.
The restructured Department of Transportation includes fundamental reforms.
• Pension reform ends “23 and out” at MBTA and aligns its pension system with the state system.
• Turnpike and MBTA employees join the state health care system.
• MassHighway employees move off the capital budget and back onto regular payroll, freeing funds for road and bridge maintenance.
• All Transportation Finance Commission reform recommendations are enacted.
• Bidding processes are modernized and tort reform reduces costs.
The reform and restructuring cut costs, improve efficiency, and rebuild public confidence in the transportation system. To read the legislation and learn more, visit the Reform & Renew web page.
MBTA: New Customer Service Enhancements posted on Apr 24
The MBTA this week rolled out customer service enhancements that make public transit even easier to use: real-time arrival information for the Red, Orange & Blue Lines is now available at mbta.com, the Bus Countdown Clock system has been activated at Dudley station and the …Continue Reading MBTA: New Customer Service Enhancements
I-90 Pru Tunnel Work Scheduled: April 26-27 posted on Apr 22
Today, the Massachusetts Convention Center Authority (MCCA) and MassDOT announced the fourth and final weekend of lane restrictions on the Massachusetts Turnpike associated with the removal of the I-90 Prudential Tunnel ceiling in Boston. Due to the faster-than-anticipated progress on the ceiling removal, the fourth …Continue Reading I-90 Pru Tunnel Work Scheduled: April 26-27
Fall River: Route 79/Braga Bridge Project Demolition posted on Apr 22
MassDOT contractors beginning today as part of the Route 79/Braga Bridge Improvements Project will remove the portion of the elevated Route 79 over the intersection of Anawan Street/Pocasset Street and Davol Street. The work will take place today, Tuesday, April 22 through Friday, April 25. …Continue Reading Fall River: Route 79/Braga Bridge Project Demolition