The Governor's comprehensive plan will restructure and reform transportation in historic, fundamental ways.
The plan consolidates and radically simplifies the transportation bureaucracy.
• The Turnpike Authority is abolished.
• The Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission and Outdoor Advertising Board are abolished.
• The MBTA Board is restructured and reduced in size.
• The simplified Department of Transportation under the authority of the Secretary of Transportation has four divisions: Highway, Rail and Transit, Aviation and Port, and Registry of Motor Vehicles.
• The result is a streamlined, consolidated operation with approximately 300 fewer employees.
The restructured Department of Transportation includes fundamental reforms.
• Pension reform ends “23 and out” at MBTA and aligns its pension system with the state system.
• Turnpike and MBTA employees join the state health care system.
• MassHighway employees move off the capital budget and back onto regular payroll, freeing funds for road and bridge maintenance.
• All Transportation Finance Commission reform recommendations are enacted.
• Bidding processes are modernized and tort reform reduces costs.
The reform and restructuring cut costs, improve efficiency, and rebuild public confidence in the transportation system. To read the legislation and learn more, visit the Reform & Renew web page.
Boston: Route 203 Project Public Meeting Set posted on Jan 13
MassDOT has scheduled a Public Information Meeting to discuss the proposed Route 203 Improvements Project from West Selden Street to Gallivan Boulevard in Boston as follows: Thursday, January 19, 6:00 PM, Mildred Avenue Middle School, Auditorium, 5 Mildred Avenue, Mattapan The purpose of this public …Continue Reading Boston: Route 203 Project Public Meeting Set
Freight Plan Public Open House Set posted on Jan 10
MassDOT’s Freight Plan is a strategic planning document that will define a short and long-term vision for the freight system in Massachusetts and identify solutions to current and future challenges to the freight system. The first Open House for the Massachusetts Freight Plan has been …Continue Reading Freight Plan Public Open House Set
Toll Plaza Demolition, Reconstruction Public Meetings Begin posted on Jan 9
MassDOT this week in Westborough will hold the first of four public meetings to update the public on the status of the implementation of All Electronic Tolling and the progress of demolishing existing toll plaza infrastructure and reconstructing the roadway. Representatives of MassDOT will discuss …Continue Reading Toll Plaza Demolition, Reconstruction Public Meetings Begin