The Governor's comprehensive plan will restructure and reform transportation in historic, fundamental ways.
The plan consolidates and radically simplifies the transportation bureaucracy.
• The Turnpike Authority is abolished.
• The Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission and Outdoor Advertising Board are abolished.
• The MBTA Board is restructured and reduced in size.
• The simplified Department of Transportation under the authority of the Secretary of Transportation has four divisions: Highway, Rail and Transit, Aviation and Port, and Registry of Motor Vehicles.
• The result is a streamlined, consolidated operation with approximately 300 fewer employees.
The restructured Department of Transportation includes fundamental reforms.
• Pension reform ends “23 and out” at MBTA and aligns its pension system with the state system.
• Turnpike and MBTA employees join the state health care system.
• MassHighway employees move off the capital budget and back onto regular payroll, freeing funds for road and bridge maintenance.
• All Transportation Finance Commission reform recommendations are enacted.
• Bidding processes are modernized and tort reform reduces costs.
The reform and restructuring cut costs, improve efficiency, and rebuild public confidence in the transportation system. To read the legislation and learn more, visit the Reform & Renew web page.
Tobin Bridge: All-Electronic Tolling Begins Monday, July 21 posted on Jul 18
Effective Monday, July 21, prior to the morning commute, tolling on the Tobin Bridge will convert to the all-electronic format. The new toll system will eliminate the need for customers to pay the toll in cash. The system is equipped to read E-ZPass transponders for …Continue Reading Tobin Bridge: All-Electronic Tolling Begins Monday, July 21
MassDOT Berkshire Rail Line Purchase posted on Jul 17
The MassDOT Board of Directors has authorized MassDOT Secretary and CEO Richard A. Davey to execute an agreement to purchase the Berkshire Line from the Housatonic Railroad Company, a major step toward delivering passenger rail service between New York City and the Berkshires. The agreement …Continue Reading MassDOT Berkshire Rail Line Purchase
E-ZPass Transponder Sign Up: Saugus, Chelsea posted on Jul 16
MassDOT is encouraging motorists to join E-ZPass as All-Electronic Tolling is being implemented this summer on the Tobin Bridge. The E-ZPass Street Team will be enrolling new customers in the E-ZPass program throughout the region in the coming weeks. E-ZPass is free to join and …Continue Reading E-ZPass Transponder Sign Up: Saugus, Chelsea