The Governor's comprehensive plan will restructure and reform transportation in historic, fundamental ways.
The plan consolidates and radically simplifies the transportation bureaucracy.
• The Turnpike Authority is abolished.
• The Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission and Outdoor Advertising Board are abolished.
• The MBTA Board is restructured and reduced in size.
• The simplified Department of Transportation under the authority of the Secretary of Transportation has four divisions: Highway, Rail and Transit, Aviation and Port, and Registry of Motor Vehicles.
• The result is a streamlined, consolidated operation with approximately 300 fewer employees.
The restructured Department of Transportation includes fundamental reforms.
• Pension reform ends “23 and out” at MBTA and aligns its pension system with the state system.
• Turnpike and MBTA employees join the state health care system.
• MassHighway employees move off the capital budget and back onto regular payroll, freeing funds for road and bridge maintenance.
• All Transportation Finance Commission reform recommendations are enacted.
• Bidding processes are modernized and tort reform reduces costs.
The reform and restructuring cut costs, improve efficiency, and rebuild public confidence in the transportation system. To read the legislation and learn more, visit the Reform & Renew web page.
Route 79/Braga Bridge Project Traffic Update posted on Oct 30
MassDOT will begin implementing traffic changes for the next stage of construction for the Route 79/Braga Bridge Project on Wednesday, November 12. The following changes will be implemented in a phased approach through the middle of December: Vehicles on Route 79/138 (Broadway) bound for Interstate …Continue Reading Route 79/Braga Bridge Project Traffic Update
RMV: Promise to Customers posted on Oct 28
Today, MassDOT Secretary & CEO Richard A. Davey and MassDOT Registrar of Motor Vehicles Celia J. Blue offered a 10 point promise to RMV customers. The reimagining effort comprises current, ongoing and future initiatives that the RMV has in development to better the Registry experience. …Continue Reading RMV: Promise to Customers
November E-ZPass Sign Up: Chelsea, Everett posted on Oct 28
MassDOT is encouraging motorists to join E-ZPass with All-Electronic Tolling now in place on the Tobin Bridge and expanding statewide within the next two years. The E-ZPass Street Team will be enrolling new customers in the E-ZPass throughout the Fall season. The E-ZPass Van schedule …Continue Reading November E-ZPass Sign Up: Chelsea, Everett