The Governor's comprehensive plan will restructure and reform transportation in historic, fundamental ways.
The plan consolidates and radically simplifies the transportation bureaucracy.
• The Turnpike Authority is abolished.
• The Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission and Outdoor Advertising Board are abolished.
• The MBTA Board is restructured and reduced in size.
• The simplified Department of Transportation under the authority of the Secretary of Transportation has four divisions: Highway, Rail and Transit, Aviation and Port, and Registry of Motor Vehicles.
• The result is a streamlined, consolidated operation with approximately 300 fewer employees.
The restructured Department of Transportation includes fundamental reforms.
• Pension reform ends “23 and out” at MBTA and aligns its pension system with the state system.
• Turnpike and MBTA employees join the state health care system.
• MassHighway employees move off the capital budget and back onto regular payroll, freeing funds for road and bridge maintenance.
• All Transportation Finance Commission reform recommendations are enacted.
• Bidding processes are modernized and tort reform reduces costs.
The reform and restructuring cut costs, improve efficiency, and rebuild public confidence in the transportation system. To read the legislation and learn more, visit the Reform & Renew web page.
MassDOT, MBTA Launch Focus40 posted on May 23
MassDOT and the MBTA will kick off development of a long-term investment plan for the MBTA at Northeastern University’s Curry Student Center at 5 p.m., on Tuesday, May 24. Known as Focus40, the effort looks ahead at how the MBTA can serve the people of …Continue Reading MassDOT, MBTA Launch Focus40
MassDOT, MassWildlife Event Highlights Peregrine Falcon Nest Box Program posted on May 21
MassDOT’s Highway Division and the Executive Office of Energy & Environmental Affairs’ Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife hosted an event on Friday, May 20 to highlight the joint Peregrine Falcon Nest Box Program and other cross-agency efforts to help with the recovery, conservation and …Continue Reading MassDOT, MassWildlife Event Highlights Peregrine Falcon Nest Box Program
Leominster: Mechanic Street Groundbreaking posted on May 20
MassDOT officials joined Leominster Mayor Dean Mazzarella today to celebrate groundbreaking for the reconstruction of Mechanic Street. The project will reconstruct Mechanic Street from its intersection with Laurel Street and east to the Leominster Connector to make it safer for vehicle and pedestrian traffic and …Continue Reading Leominster: Mechanic Street Groundbreaking