The Governor's comprehensive plan will restructure and reform transportation in historic, fundamental ways.
The plan consolidates and radically simplifies the transportation bureaucracy.
• The Turnpike Authority is abolished.
• The Massachusetts Aeronautics Commission and Outdoor Advertising Board are abolished.
• The MBTA Board is restructured and reduced in size.
• The simplified Department of Transportation under the authority of the Secretary of Transportation has four divisions: Highway, Rail and Transit, Aviation and Port, and Registry of Motor Vehicles.
• The result is a streamlined, consolidated operation with approximately 300 fewer employees.
The restructured Department of Transportation includes fundamental reforms.
• Pension reform ends “23 and out” at MBTA and aligns its pension system with the state system.
• Turnpike and MBTA employees join the state health care system.
• MassHighway employees move off the capital budget and back onto regular payroll, freeing funds for road and bridge maintenance.
• All Transportation Finance Commission reform recommendations are enacted.
• Bidding processes are modernized and tort reform reduces costs.
The reform and restructuring cut costs, improve efficiency, and rebuild public confidence in the transportation system. To read the legislation and learn more, visit the Reform & Renew web page.
Danvers: Route 128/Route 62 Interchange Crash Reduction posted on Oct 21
MassDOT has announced that due to several recent improvements, there has been a sharp reduction in the number of traffic crashes at the interchange of Route 128 with Route 62 in Danvers. MassDOT worked collaboratively for several months with elected and local officials, the Danvers …Continue Reading Danvers: Route 128/Route 62 Interchange Crash Reduction
MBTA Forest Hills Bus Canopy Public Meeting Set posted on Oct 21
The Casey Arborway Project includes expansion of the Upper Busway at the MBTA’s lntermodal Forest Hills Station. A Public Meeting on the Forest Hills Bus Canopy Project has been scheduled as follows: Wednesday, November 2, 6:30 to 8:30 PM, The English High School, 144 McBride …Continue Reading MBTA Forest Hills Bus Canopy Public Meeting Set
All Electronic Tolling Information, Public Meeting posted on Oct 19
The new All Electronic Tolling program on I-90 and the Boston tunnels will “go live” on Friday night, October 28th. A final Toll Plaza Demolition Public Meeting is set for tonight: • Wednesday, October 19th – Brighton WGBH – Yawkey Theater, One Guest Street Plaza …Continue Reading All Electronic Tolling Information, Public Meeting