The transportation reform bill signed by Governor Deval Patrick transfers ownership and governance of the the Maurice J. Tobin Memorial Bridge to the new Massachusetts Department of Transportation on January 1, 2010.
The landmark bridge opened to traffic in 1950, connecting the Charlestown section of Boston with Chelsea. The bridge provides three travel lanes northbound on its lower level and three lanes southbound on the upper level. Tolls are collected from southbound cars only.
The bridge is approximately 2 1/4 miles long, including north and south approaches. The main structure over the Mystic River is a three-span, cantilevered truss 1,525' in length. The approaches comprise 36 spans on the north and 32 spans on the south. A maintenance garage, located in Chelsea, houses all maintenance, operating, and mechanical equipment for upkeep of the bridge.
The daily, round-the-clock operation of the Tobin Bridge involves more than 50 dedicated employees such as the electricians performing bridge maintenance in the photo at left. The Tobin Bridge 24-hour Hot Line is (617) 241-2010.
Learn more about Governor Patrick's signing of the transportation reform legislation.