Is your summer starting to lose steam? Are your days of lounging by the pool or basking on the beach beginning to blur together? Do you need a new hobby that still provides fun in the sun? Luckily, Massachusetts has a lot to offer; here are a few activities to add some spice to your routine:
Hiking is great for people of all ages as it requires little gear or preparation; there are even accessible trails to accommodate anyone with an injury or disability. And you can even bring Fido! (Just be sure to clean up after your pet.) Before rushing off to the trails nearest you, be sure to observe these safety guidelines:
- Wear comfortable shoes that won’t slip and slide on loose gravel.
- Bring water to stay hydrated, especially on more secluded and challenging trails.
- Abide by any additional warnings or rules that park has posted.
Few things feel better than a cool breeze providing respite from the hot summer air. If you the wind isn’t blowing and you need to create your own, hop on two wheels and hit one of the many biking trails and paths located throughout the state. There are plenty of options for cyclists of all levels.
- Looking for a more intense bike ride? Try mountain biking!
- No matter how seasoned you are, it’s recommended that all riders wear helmets. However, for those under the age of 16, it’s a requirement.
Got a sturdier steed? There are plenty of horseback riding paths all over Massachusetts, which run through forests, alongside rivers, and even near the beach. Remember to ride in groups and wear a helmet.
Athletes seeking a little adventure should tie in for their best Spider-Man impression while rock climbing.
- Residents of greater Boston who want to climb closer to public transportation should visit Quincy Quarries.. With up to 21 different routes, it’s suitable for climbers of all skill levels.
- Anyone with a car may opt for Leominster State Park in central Massachusetts which features cliffs between 20-110 ft. tall, and is suitable for beginners and experts alike.
No matter which fitness challenge you undertake, don’t forget to protect your skin from harmful UV rays, especially during the hottest parts of the day.
Join the conversation: Tweet @MassGov a picture of your favorite outdoor summer activity.
Responsible Pet Ownership in Massachusetts posted on Apr 24
Having a pet is a privilege that comes with responsibilities. Maintaining your pet’s health, ensuring it has the proper identification, and making sure to clean up after it benefits you, your pet, and the Commonwealth. The Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR) , the Department …Continue Reading Responsible Pet Ownership in Massachusetts
Filing for Divorce in Massachusetts posted on Apr 23
More than 844,000 couples divorced in the United States in 2008, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. The divorce process varies between states, and you must meet certain requirements to file in the Commonwealth. The Massachusetts Court System (MCS) and the Department of Revenue (DOR) …Continue Reading Filing for Divorce in Massachusetts
A Helpful Guide to Filing for Unemployment in Massachusetts posted on Apr 21
Unemployment Insurance (UI) from the Department of Unemployment Assistance (DUA) offers temporary income compensation to unemployed Massachusetts workers while they are seeking new employment. The Executive Office of Labor and Workforce Development (LWD) has useful basic information to help residents who’ve recently lost their jobs file …Continue Reading A Helpful Guide to Filing for Unemployment in Massachusetts