Post Content

Wedding RingsCouples can be married either by a member of the clergy, Justice of the Peace, or friend/family member.

Want a friend or family member to perform your wedding ceremony? A One Day Marriage Designation is available from the Governor’s Office. Applications are available online. The application must be in at least six weeks, but no more than three months before the ceremony is to take place.

The rules and procedures for getting married in Massachusetts are defined by Chapter 207 of the Massachusetts General Laws (MGL). 

See Massachusetts Law About Marriage for links to laws, forms and more.



Written By:


Recent Posts

Do Corporations Have Standing? posted on Oct 18

Do Corporations Have Standing?

“Corporations are people, my friend.”— Mitt Romney, former Governor of Massachusetts, (Aug. 11. 2011)       Artificial person. (17c) An entity, such as a corporation, created by law and given certain legal rights and duties of a human being;  a being, real or imaginary, who for the   …Continue Reading Do Corporations Have Standing?

Do Trees Have Standing? posted on Oct 17

Do Trees Have Standing?

From Justice William O. Douglas’ dissent in Sierra Club v Morton, 405 U.S. 727, 741 (1972) : “The critical question of ‘standing’ would be simplified and also put neatly in focus if we fashioned a federal rule that allowed environmental issues to be litigated before federal   …Continue Reading Do Trees Have Standing?

Word(s) of the month – standing posted on Oct 16

Word(s) of the month - standing

Words of law is a regular feature of Massachusetts Law Updates, highlighting a particular word or phrase and its meaning in law. Today’s word is standing. standing n. (1924) A party’s right to make a legal claim or seek judicial enforcement of a duty or right. • To have   …Continue Reading Word(s) of the month – standing