On a gorgeous day, who doesn’t love a picnic? Picnics and cookouts can be a great way to have fun with friends and family in the summer…unless someone gets sick from the food. Don’t let anything get in the way of your summer celebrations. Just take some simple safety precautions, and enjoy dining in the great outdoors!
• After eating at a picnic, are you ever tempted to go back for seconds a few hours later? Not a good idea! Summer weather provides the perfect temperature for bacteria to grow in food that isn’t kept chilled, which can cause food poisoning and illness.
• Keep your cool! In addition to bringing plenty of clean utensils, paper towels and trash bags, don’t forget a cooler filled with ice. If you are planning to use frozen meat, fish or poultry for the grill, it should be thawed in the refrigerator overnight —NOT on the counter. For faster thawing, place food in a leak-proof plastic bag, put it in cold tap water, and change the water every 30 minutes until the food is thawed.
• Before preparing foods, wash your hands. If a sink is not going to be available, be sure to bring hand sanitizer or hand wipes.
• In 90° temperatures or above, food should not be out of the cooler for more than an hour. Foods that are the most likely to be affected by bacteria include dairy products, meat, fish, coleslaw, potato salads, egg salads, and unwashed fruits and vegetables.
• If there are any leftovers, pack them in the cooler and make sure to refrigerate them as soon as you get home.
Summer seems to go by quickly, so enjoy picnic season—the safe way—while you can!
Weekly Flu Report, March 6, 2015 posted on Mar 6
The latest weekly flu report shows that rates of flu-like illness have continued to decline over the past seven days. This is consistent with what would be expected at this time of year. However flu is still circulating in our communities, so please stay home from school or …Continue Reading Weekly Flu Report, March 6, 2015
Good News – Spring is Coming Soon! posted on Mar 4
“No matter how long the winter, spring is sure to follow.” ~Proverb This winter’s been tough. Mother Nature’s been downright cruel – testing our patience for months now. Some of us have seen more than five feet of snow dumped on us, disrupting routines and …Continue Reading Good News – Spring is Coming Soon!
8 Fun Things To Do When You Are Stuck in the House! posted on Mar 2
It’s early March and winter is slowly coming to an end. We’re getting closer and closer to spring, but not close enough for me! As the saying goes, March comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb. Knowing that warmer days are …Continue Reading 8 Fun Things To Do When You Are Stuck in the House!